Exploring food in Amsterdam

Just over a week ago I ventured out exploring the city of Amsterdam with my sister. As a foodie when I travel I get very excited about food, researching where to eat before I go, reading blogs, watching videos etc. I made a list of the top places on my list to eat, which I lost just before I left. However this worked in my favour allowing me to set out and explore for myself and also do a bit of research late at night in the hotel room. I would google things such as 'the best apple pie in amsterdam' or 'food markets in amsterdam'.

The Breakfast Club

The first morning of our trip we set out for some brunch, spotting a small cafe on our walk to Central Dam called The Breakfast Club. I ordered a green smoothie, yoghurt with granola and fresh fruit. My sister opted for the matcha pancakes (something we've both never tried before) and cappuccino. This was a great spot with good quality food, they also had many meat, vegan and vegetarian options catering for everyone. 

The Vegan Junk Food Bar

Our next stop was the Vegan Junk Food Bar, I did my research on this place and was was very excited to try it as I had heard some amazing reviews and saw some incredible pictures on Instagram. The food was beyond my expectations, the plant based burger was full of flavour with ingredients such as crispy onions, vegan cheese and their own secret sauce. They also had a variety of side options including a vegan version of bitterballen a traditional dish served in Amsterdam which usually contains meat,allowing me to feel like I had the full dutch experience. Even if you are not vegan this is definitely a place to try.
http://www.veganjunkfoodbar.com/


Street Food

There were many places to pick up street food, from waffles and crepes to haring or chips. Haring is a raw fish which is served with pickles and onions, this was something I could not bring myself to try (I kind of wish I did) however if you are brave enough I recommend you try it for the full dutch experience. We did indulge in hot waffles and some chips with peanut sauce which was a new experience for the both of us. We picked up our chips from Manneken Pis as we heard it was the no1 place to go offering a wide variety of sauces including vegan mayo! During our travels we also explored the Albert Cuyp market, only one of the many markets in Amsterdam that there are to see! There were also many small cafe's on the side streets of Amsterdam including The Happy Pig who specalise in pancakes and Winkle 43 who in my opinion serve the best apple pie ever, you must not miss this spot if your travelling any time soon!
https://www.thehappypig.nl/
http://www.winkel43.nl/


Spaghetteria Oost

On our final night we decided to look for a restaurant close to our hotel, we found this Italian restaurant with outstanding reviews and were very excited to try it. When we got there it was very busy but in a good way, they had seating outside and one large table in the middle of the restaurant which everyone sat around giving it a very cosy and friendly feel. They had a small and simple menu offering homemade pasta dishes, I opted for the ricotta ravioli and my sister chose the clam spaghetti in a butter and garlic sauce. After we finished we shared the homemade Tiramisu, every dish was decent sized portion for a reasonable price. These dishes were full of flavour and by far one the best Italian meals I have ever had and I would 100% return if I come back to Amsterdam in the future.
http://spaghetteria-pastabar.nl/


Amsterdam has proven to have some of the best food I have ever eaten by far, I have been amazed by the quality of the food and the amazing options out there! They seem to cater to everyone no matter where you go offering vegetarian, vegan, gluten free options etc, which is great to see in such a vibrant city. I hope this post has helped you to add some places on your list of where to eat in Amsterdam but do not forget to explore and research for yourself because I am sure there are many more hidden gems in this city!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noodle Soup

Veggie Con Carne